The Town of Harmony was taken from the town of Chautauqua on February 14, 1816. A small part south of Ashville was taken from the town of Chautauqua when the Town of Busti was formed in 1823 and added to that town.
Harmony was by far the largest town in Chautauqua County. It laid upon the south border of the County, a little west of the center and contained about 54,918 acres of land.
In the fall of 1918 a petition signed by 105 voters of the Town of Harmony was presented to the Board of Supervisors of Chautauqua County NY asking that the town of Harmony be divided into two towns citing as the reason that the town of Harmony is double the size of most towns in the county. It being approximately 86 square miles in area, that many of the towns are only are only about 36 square miles in area, that the abnormal size works to hinder the efficient administration of town affairs by town officers, that the Highway Department with about 153 miles of highway and one superintendent is unable to give the roads the proper attention, that the town officers have to travel long distances to attend town board meetings as well as do the town assessors in the performance of their duties.
At the regular meeting of the Board of Supervisors held on December 19, 1918, an act to divide the town of Harmony passed. It called for the division of the town to be on straight line on the township line between Township one and Township two.
The part of the town north of the dividing line would take the name “Town of North Harmony” and the part of the town south of the dividing line to continue the name “Town of Harmony”. (Reference- pages 160-165 “Laws and Resolutions of the Board of Supervisors of Chautauqua County, 1811-1924.)
“The History of The Town Of Harmony” by George C. Fowler