Town of Harmony
Date: March 14, 2018
Time: 7:30 pm Regular meeting
Place: Town Building
1001 Blockville – Watts Flats Rd
Ashville, NY 14710
Members Present: Peter Radka Councilman
David Hinderer Councilman
Jeff Jordan Councilman
Shelly Johnson Town Clerk
Absent: Tim Card Highway Superintendent, Cheryl Wares Councilman
Visitors: Melissa Ballard
Supervisor Brown opened the regular meeting of the Town of Harmony at 7:30 pm at the above time and place.
Due Diligence Coordinator Melissa Ballard and Engineer Radoslav Nedkov, RLA, CID
from Dollar General presented their site plans to the Board for the construction of a 9100 square foot Dollar General store in Blockville. Dollar General has all permits in place from the County and State. The Board asked about the visibility issues of 474 for the entrance and exit from the store. The driveway will be graded such that you will be entering and exiting the parking lot from a flat surface with a gradual grade to the store front. Hours will be dependent on customer flow. Most likely 7 am – 9 pm. The lighted sign and the road and the store lights are on a timer and will go off one hour after closing.
Ms. Ballard stressed that they try to use local contractors for as much as possible. Once the store is up and running they will have 10 employees.
Plans for construction are for mid-April. They try to get the building up and running in 6 weeks.
The Board thanked Ms Ballard and Mr. Nedkov for their time.
Approval of minutes
Resolution 4 -18
On a motion by Councilman Radka, seconded by Councilman Jordan the following resolution was
ADOPTED 4 ayes Radka, Jordan, Hinderer, Brown
Resolved that the minutes of February 14, 2018 be approved.
- CEO Eddy reported that she will be sending out property maintenance letters April 2nd. Property owners will have 30 days to bring their properties up to code.
- The owner of another discount grocery has approached the CEO about possibly buying property on 474 for a discount grocery store. The property would need a special use permit.
- Supervisor Brown and CEO Eddy are working on getting a better zoning map that includes property boundaries
Planning Board Update:
- No report
Animal Control Officers Report:
- No Report
- No Report
Highway Superintendents Report:
- No Report
Town Clerk Report:
- Financial report of the Town Clerk’s office was given
- Assessor’s report was read by the Town Clerk. Grievance day will be May 24, 2018
- The financial report of the Town was given
- Budget Modification
On a motion by Councilman Radka and Seconded by Councilman Hinderer the 2018 Adopted budget be modified by Increasing Revenue Line A 3088 State Aid JCAP Grant by $4,149 and increasing Expenditure line A1110.21 Justice Grant Expenses by $4,149 to redirect grand funds received. All Aye. So moved.
- Supervisor Brown reported:
- I have not received any response from my email to North Harmony regarding the topic of a proposed new regional court facility.
- Because of Melanie’s tenacity, we will soon be hearing about a new enterprise proposal for moving into the Town.
- The SAM grant process for our proposed Highway Garage addition is moving along well with DASNY, the state’s grant processing agency. I expect our application will be finalized by DASNY’s legal division and be proposed to the State Senate for approval next week. This could take 6-8 weeks at which time, it will go back to DASNY for disbursement.
- I have applied to the Community Foundation for a grant of $2,000 (their max. monthly amount) and I expect to hear approval by 3/18/18, at which time I would like to order the two sets of bleachers. My proposal for these bleachers included “shopping” 5 different suppliers which ranged in costs and specifications. The company I proposed will provide a quality product for a good price. Quotes ranged between $3,500 and $7,500 with the cheapest being “unacceptable construction”. Thank you for your approval of this motion.
- The Assessor’s office is sending out new Assessments to our taxpayers this week. It is my understanding that we have no action in this process other than directing people to the Assessor’s office if they have questions. I have sent an email to Kevin Okerlund asking why we did not have any input, but I have received no response.
- Shelly and I will continue to discuss the website and phone system.
- I would like us to act on my proposal combining the planning and zoning boards within our town so I can get the positions filled soon.
- I have been contacted by Mr. Dixon from the County IDA who would like the Town to be the lead agency on a grant for The Castelli Cheese Company. A consultant is supposed to supply us with more information for our review.
- SAM grant is progressing well. Modifications to the application required a resubmittal by Supervisor Brown. Once the money is received Supervisor Brown will begin the bid process. It will not be one inclusive bid.
- Bleacher grant from Community Foundation ($2,000) will be applied towards two sets of 3 riser bleachers for the Town Park in Watts Flats. Councilman Radka asked how they would be anchored. At this time ideas are still be discussed on how to anchor them.
On a motion by Councilman Hinderer and Seconded by Councilman Radka the following resolution was
Adopted 4 ayes Hinderer, Jordan, Radka, Brown
WHEREAS, the Harmony Town Board wishes to assess the advisability of submitting a Community Development Block Grant (“CDBG”) application to the New York State Office of Community Renewal (the “OCR”) for funding to support the continuation and expansion of the operations of Castelli America, LLC at its plant on Fairbanks Road in the Town of Harmony (the “Project”); and
WHEREAS, the Town is required to hold a public hearing to provide information to the public and to consider citizen comments regarding the CDBG program and the Project prior to submitting an application for CDBG funding;
Now, therefore be it
RESOLVED, that the Harmony Town Board hereby calls for a Public Hearing whereat all interested parties shall be heard; and be it further
RESOLVED, that the Public Hearing shall be held on April 4th at 7 PM at the Town of Harmony Highway building located at 1001 Blockville – Watts Flats Road, Ashville, NY 14710; and be it further
RESOLVED, that the Town Clerk is hereby directed to have published at least once in Jamestown Post Journal at least seven (7) days before the date scheduled for the Public Hearing.
All aye. So moved.
On a motion by Councilman Hinderer and Seconded by Councilman Jordan the following resolution was
Adopted 4 aye Hinderer, Jordan, Radka, Brown
- Proposed Local Law #1 for the year 2018 would eliminate the Town of Harmony Planning Board and further, have the Town of Harmony Zoning Board of Appeals assume the duties which were previously the obligation of the Town of Harmony Planning Board.
Resolved the Town Clerk will post a legal notice in the Jamestown Post Journal for a Public Hearing to be held on April 4, 2018 at 7:15 pm at the Town of Harmony Highway Building at 1001 Blockville Watts Flats Rd Ashville, NY.
All Aye. So moved.
Town Clerk presents bills for payment:
On a Motion of Councilman Hinderer and Seconded by Councilman Radka the following resolution was
ADOPTED 4 ayes Radka, Jordan, Hinderer , Brown
Resolved that the bill be paid on Abstract #4 in the following amounts
General $ 5,229.22 Voucher #’s 30-42
Highway $6,491.45 Voucher #’s 31-43
With no further business, on a motion by Councilman Jordan, seconded by Councilman Hinderer the meeting was adjourned at 8:37 pm. Carried Unanimously.
Respectfully Submitted by:
Shelly Johnson, Town Clerk
Next Meeting April 4, 2018 Public Hearing #1 7:00 Public Hearing #2
Regular meeting @ 7:30 PM.