Date: February 14, 2018
Time: 7:30 pm Regular meeting
Place: Town Building
1001 Blockville – Watts Flats Rd
Ashville, NY 14710
Members Present: Peter Radka Councilman
David Hinderer Councilman
Jeff Jordan Councilman
Shelly Johnson Town Clerk
Absent: John Brown Supervisor, Tim Card Highway Superintendent, Cheryl Wares Councilman
Deputy Supervisor Jordan opened the regular meeting of the Town of Harmony at 7:30 pm at the above time and place.
Approval of minutes
Resolution 2 -18
On a motion by Councilman Hinderer , seconded by Councilman Radka the following resolution was
ADOPTED 3 ayes Radka, Jordan, Hinderer
Resolved that the minutes of January 3, 2018 be approved.
- As read by the town clerk
- 1 permits issued
Planning Board Update:
- No report
Animal Control Officers Report:
- No Report
- No Report
Highway Superintendents Report:
- No Report
Town Clerk Report:
- Financial report of the Town Clerk’s office was given
- Email from Supervisor Brown to North Harmony Supervisor Carlson was presented to the Board for review.
- Assessors Report was given to the Board for review
- Following is a listing of my activities, concerns and topics to review and consideration as we prepare for discussions at our monthly meetings which I unfortunately will not be attending this month.
- I was asked to attend a meeting at North Harmony to begin discussions about the possibility of consolidating five town courts. I was unable to attend so I sent the following email stating my and I hope your position on this topic.
Because I am unable to attend the Supervisors meeting on January 31st, I wanted to provide this input and concerns regarding a new court facility.
While the concept of a new New York State code compliant court facility is a wonderful idea, the Town of Harmony’s participation would depend on the following concerns, and the Town Board would have to approve any direction based on further information provided;
- We would not be burdening Town of Harmony taxpayers with any tax increases because of a new facility and new expenses generated from it.
- The Town of Harmony would have its own Town Judge according to my understanding of Town Law.
- According to Town Law, the Town Justice solely manages the court clerks and would need adequate support to accomplish their tasks.
- Under NYS Judicial Law, the town boards are the managers of the facilities provided in order for Town Justices to manage their branch of government.
I would also like to note that a new facility’s future maintenance costs and additional maintenance staff should be considered in future budget plans.
Would costs be divided evenly by let’s say 5 Townships or would it be determined by number of court cases per township.
While my understanding is that the NYS Legislature would have to approve a consolidation of Town Justices, I can not find any law that would prevent consolidation of courtrooms. Where would this building be located? Would it be in proximity for all participating Town Justices and staff?
Sally, I certainly do not want these concerns to be seen as negativity on my part. It is a wonderful idea for providing our citizens with a clean, safe and functional environment. I look forward to hearing the outcome of your meeting on January 31st.
Thank you for your leadership in this endeavor.”
- I continue to see articles in the Post-Journal about the governor’s proposed budget and topics like shared services. I haven’t received any official information yet.
- Melanie continues to diligently pursue new enterprises moving in to Harmony.
- On January 30th we forwarded the revised application for our proposed Highway Garage addition to DASNY. Shelly has a copy for your review if interested. Since then, the information has been reviewed and accelerated to “financial review,” which is the third stage of the process. We are now required to gather actual bids for every item on our proposal, including electrical and other smaller components. I hope to have this requirement met by 2/9/18. The next phase will be Approval and then recommendation to New York State.
- Last month we received a notice of possible funding underwritten by Disney for playground equipment. I investigated the grant application and found out that we would have to be a member of a second funding proposal organization to qualify. The dues for this organization ranged from $850 to $1400 (from memory) based on certain criteria. I decided not to pursue this grant because of this.
While evaluating our needs at the town park, Highway Superintendent Card and Town Clerk Johnson informed me of how much the park is used over the summer, especially for baseball games. A pressing need is for bleachers. They noted that people bring their own chairs or stand or sit on the ground.
In response to this need, I would like to recommend to the board the purchase of code compliant (3) seat bleachers for each side of the baseball diamond at a cost of $4,000. I suggest we apply to the Community Foundation for a grant of $2,000 and match that with $2,000 from the general fund of town budget. I have spoken with Tory Irgang, Executive Director of the Chautauqua Region Community Foundation, who has indicated the project is worthy of funding. I am confident that if we apply for this grant within the next few weeks, we would get the $2,000 by mid-March. The remaining $2,000 would come from unspent funds in last years’ budget and be transferred into the Park line item. The correct language after you approve this action is as follows; (quote from Dan Laurito)
The Town Board resolves to modify the 2018 adopted budget for the General Fund Townwide by increasing expenditure account A7140.2 Playgrounds & Recreation Equipment by $4,000.00 and by increasing Revenue account A2706 Grants-Local Governments by $2,000.00 and by increasing Appropriated Fund Balance by $2,000.00.
I have also attached a quotation for bleachers for your review. Thank you in advance for approving this expense to improve the park and benefit our families.
- Shelly and I have been discussing and evaluating Website designs of other municipalities. I cannot recommend a direction on this yet.
- Shelly is also looking into the possibility of centralizing our phone system, but we are not ready to present anything to you yet.
- I met with Dan Laurito last month and had a very productive discussion. It is wonderful to have this CPA helping us. The annual report for last years budget will be presented in March and we will have a decent amount of funds left over that must be allocated.
- On January 26th, there was an article in the Post about the town of Ellicott board combining the planning and zoning boards within their town. This merging of the boards creates a more positive situation, “promoting new business, creating a more effective work environment”.
I think that this is a great idea for us because of the ability to find fewer focused people with the desire to volunteer. I would like to know if you would first, combine our boards by vote; and second, allow me to work towards that same goal and find people for a newly combined board who will help our town prosper by being able to enforce the planning that they labor in creating? The secondary check would be the Town board ratifying any planning action.
- Resolution 3-18
On a motion by Councilman Radka and Seconded by Councilman Jordan the following resolution was ‘
ADOPTED 3 aye Radka, Jordan, Hinderer
The Town Board resolves to modify the 2018 adopted budget for the General Fund Townwide by increasing expenditure account A7140.2 Playgrounds & Recreation Equipment by $4,000.00 and by increasing Revenue account A2706 Grants-Local Governments by $2,000.00 and by increasing Appropriated Fund Balance by $2,000.00. So moved.
- The Board would like to see more price shopping before the bleachers are purchased.
Town Clerk presents bills for payment:
On a Motion of Councilman Radka and Seconded by Councilman Jordan the following resolution was
ADOPTED 3 ayes Radka, Jordan, Hinderer
Resolved that the bill be paid on Abstract # in the following amounts
General $ 6,929.88 Voucher #’s 12-29
Highway $30,437.28 Voucher #’s 10-30
With no further business, on a motion by Councilman Hinderer, seconded by Councilman Radka the meeting was adjourned at 7:43 pm. Carried Unanimously.
Respectfully Submitted by:
Shelly Johnson, Town Clerk
Please Note: The next meeting will be held on March 14, 2018 @ 7:30 PM.